Taking control of our sleep is a form of self-care.
We often associate a lack of sleep with hard work and an abundance of sleep with laziness. But, we have learned that sleep is important for self-care. Sleep helps us prepare our brains for learning, to absorb new information into long term memory, and produce antibodies that help our bodies fight viruses.
In order to sleep, our brains release melatonin, a hormone that helps promote sleep. Melatonin is affected by our body’s way to distinguish between day and night. Exposure to light, activities before bed, and stressful periods in our lives can affect the quality of our sleep. We are going through a global pandemic, a lot of us are feeling anxious, and finding a good night’s rest can be hard. As hard as it may be, sleep can be the one thing you need in stressful situations.
Taking control of our sleep is a form of self-care. Like the Dalai Lama said, “Sleep is the best meditation” Here are 10 tips to help you get better sleep:
- Go to be at the same time every night
- Take a bath before you sleep
- Exercise before you sleep
- Meditate before you sleep
- Wear a sleeping mask
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol a couple of hours before bed. Drink something soothing like tea
- Get 7-8 hours of sleep
- Try not to use your phone before you sleep and after you wake up
- Avoid having a heavy meal too close to bedtime
- Catch up on sleep: Work schedules, having a baby, or going through a stressful period may affect your sleeping routine. Listen to your body and allow yourself to take naps and sleep-in when you get the chance. If you have trouble sleeping (lack of sleep), avoid naps to build upon having more sleep at night.
Most importantly, learn to listen to your body and make time for rest whenever you can. If you struggle with sleep and feel like you need medical help, consult a healthcare professional.
We hope that you found this article helpful. If you try any of these tips or have methods that you would like to share on sleeping routines, share you comments below.
Header Illustration by C&N