This week on manecrush we feature the multi-talented South African singer-songwriter Amanda Benedicta Antony popularly known by her stage name, Amanda Black.
Amanda broke into the SA music scene in 2016 following the release of her first official single titled “Amazulu” under Ambitiouz Entertainment. Amazulu dominated the number one spot in South African music charts and was certified platinum in only three weeks after its release. Since then she has earned herself 6 award wins and 13 nominations.
Amanda Black wears her hair in bold-coloured twist braids, afro-textured extensions, with a trimmed under-cut. Her face paint make-up style express her pride for being Xhosa. Here are some of our favorite hairstyles and interesting facts about the star.
In an interview with Sowetan Live, Amanda defined her sound as Afro-soul, fused with hip-hop, a bit of blues and R&B.
- She was born in the Eastern Cape.
- She is a self-taught guitarist.
- She entered SA Idols in 2015 and ended up at 7th position.
- She was nominated for 5 categories at the 16th edition of the Metro FM Music Awards.
- She Graduated in 2015 with a Diploma in Music Education at The Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University, Port Elizabeth.
- She is Xhosa and sings in her mother language as well as in English.