Moisturising is one of the most important steps for taking care of natural hair. If you have just gone natural and wondering where to start, here are steps to a simple moisturising routine.
- Spray a bit of water or homemade spritz to prepare your hair for absorbing moisture. Not dripping wet.
- After washing or spraying your hair with water. Apply your moisturiser.
- Apply oil to seal in moisture. Detangle your hair with your fingers or wide-tooth comb between step 2 and 3.
- Style your hair. If you do this at night, sleep in Bantu knots or any maphondo hairstyle to keep your hair stretched for the next day.
- In the morning, undo your overnight hairstyle and enjoy a well-behaved healthy afro.
For more details about which products to use, check how local hair bloggers do it.
Moisturising methods vary according to your hair type. To learn more about your hair type take a hair porosity test. Knowing your hair porosity will put you one step closer to understanding what products your hair needs, how much and how often you should apply them.